The progress of each student in the Mdiv, MABL, MAC cooperative program with Ottawa University, and Graduate Diploma in Christian Counseling programs will be reviewed by the Faculty. Faculty Reviews occur at approximately 15 hours for the MAC and Diploma in Christian Counseling; at approximately 30 hours for the MABL; and at approximately 30 hours and again at approximately 60 hours for the MDiv. The review is intended to encourage growth in the important areas of character, readiness for ministry, and academic progress and is based on the Profile of a Graduate (see page 73). The review consists of a report of the student’s progress by the student’s Mentor, input from the church the student is attending (as needed), and discussion by the faculty and administration. Approval is necessary for the student to continue in the program. A student may appeal a Faculty Review decision by making a request in writing to the Education Committee of the Board of Phoenix Seminary.
Actions Prior to the 15-30-60 Hour Review
- Students will be advised via email from the Mentoring Department no less than 15 days before the 15-30-60 Review that the Review will take place. The email will include:
- A reminder of the verbiage in the Student Handbook concerning the Review;
- A statement that the Review will occur sometime during the next 30 days;
- A statement that all Reviews are done with out the student present;
- A statement that a letter from the Dean of Students [DS] will be sent to each student reviewed informing them of the results of the Review.
Actions During the 15-30-60 Hour Review
- During the 15-30-60 Review the assembled faculty, in assessing each student’s progress, will come to one of the following determinations:
- Pass with Concern;
- Non-Pass (Remediation Required).
- For each student receiving anything other than a Pass, the faculty will come to a consensus on exactly what is to be communicated to the student in the letter from the DS. The DS will utilize the verbiage produced by consensus in drafting the letter. The inclusion of positive feedback to the student in the letter is encouraged for all students undergoing the review.
- For each student receiving a determination other than Pass, an appropriate individual will be named who will debrief the student with respect to the concerns of the faculty.
Actions Following the 15-30-60 Hour Review
- The DS will review, edit if necessary, and approve the faculty minutes of the 15-30-60 Hour Review before the minutes are sent out to the faculty. In this way the DS and the secretary will together be able to give correct reporting while serving as monitors for information that may be legally sensitive.
- A copy of the letter from the DS will be sent to the person chosen for the debriefing, with a copy to the student’s mentor.
- The person who has been assigned to debrief a student receiving a determination other than Pass will give the DS’ letter to the student and then go over its contents with him or her. Either the DS or another faculty member should sit in as a part of this debriefing as a witness. It is important that the deliberations of the 15-30-60 Hour Review be kept confidential during the debriefing, especially the identities of faculty raising concerns about the student. The person conducting the debriefing should rely, therefore, on the specific verbiage created by the faculty during the review.
- The person assigned to debrief the student will notify the DS when the debriefing is completed.
- Students who receive a Pass determination will have their Review letter sent to them within ten days of the Review.
- A copy of all Review letters with a determination other than Pass will be kept on file in the DS’s confidential files until the student graduates. In the case of non-graduates, the letter will remain on file until a student has been withdrawn for three years.