Current Students enrolled at Phoenix Seminary who desire to take courses at other institutions applicable to their degree programs must contact the Registrar prior to enrolling for such courses.
Students or Approved Applicants who have completed relevant graduate-level studies at another institution may be eligible to receive transfer credit, provided that the courses meet these criteria:
- Completed with a grade of “C” (2.0) or higher as recorded on an official transcript from a graduate institution accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools or a regional accrediting association;
- Completed within ten years of application to a Phoenix Seminary program;
- Approximately parallel to course content at Phoenix Seminary (80% or higher equivalence) as judged by comparison of course descriptions or syllabi;
- If the course was completed within a master’s degree, no more than 50% of the prior credits may be accepted in transfer towards the Phoenix Seminary degree;
- For the maximum allowable transfer credits for each program, refer to the program descriptions. There are additional limitations on the amount of distance learning credits that can be received (see the policy on Distance Learning).
Where students can show warrant, exceptions to these guidelines may be granted.
In most instances, all transfer credit completed previously at other institutions is identified by the Registrar shortly after an applicant is admitted. An official letter detailing the transfer credit awarded is issued to the applicant before or during his or her first semester of enrollment. Please note that requests for transfer credit evaluation must be made subsequent to admission to a program, but prior to the second semester of enrollment (except in the case of transfer credit taken at other institutions while enrolled at Phoenix Seminary).
If granted, transfer credit is incorporated into your program, thereby reducing the total number of Phoenix Seminary credit hours required. Courses approved for transfer credit are not detailed on the Phoenix Seminary transcript and are not considered in the GPA for the purposes of determining academic standing.
Undergraduate coursework is not eligible for transfer credit, but see the sections on Advanced Standing and Course Validation.
Questions regarding transfer credit should be addressed to the Registrar.